- 350g butter
- 350g dark brown sugar
- 900g mixed dried fruit
- 500ml dark strong local ale
- 1tsp ground mixed spice
- Juice and zest of 2 oranges
- 8 large eggs
- 2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 750g plain flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C.
- Place the butter, half the sugar, dried fruit and beer into a large pan on a low heat.
- Add the mixed spice, orange zest and juice. I also throw the orange skin in while it’s cooking because it gives it a bit more flavour.
- Meanwhile whisk together the eggs and remaining sugar until it has doubled in size and has become really light and fluffy.
- When the pan has come to the boil add the bicarbonate of soda and watch it fizz.
- Remove from the heat – as it cools it will catch all the air it has created.
- Pour in the egg mixture and sieve in the plain flour. Mix all together with a spoon and pour into a lined cake tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
Mini Mango & Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes
Decadent Chocolate Tiffin
Pistachio, Orange & Cardamom Mini Loaves
Step-by-Step Mother’s Day Floral Shard Cake
Valentine’s Cake Pops
Step-by-Step Valentine’s Love Bug Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Ruffle Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Face Bakes