- 100g butter, softened
- 50g caster sugar
- a few drops of almond extract
- 150g self-raising flour
- 25g flaked almonds
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C/350 degF/Gas 4.
- Lightly grease 2 baking trays.
- Measure the butter into a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon. Gradually beat in the sugar and almond extract and then mix in the flour. Bring the mixture together with your hands to form a dough, adding a little water if required. Form the dough into balls about the size of a walnut and place well apart on the prepared baking trays. Dip a fork in a little water and use this to flatten the biscuits. Sprinkle flaked almonds on top.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 15-20 minutes until very pale golden. Lift off the baking tray and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.