Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
- 115g plain flour
- 55g cool unsalted butter
- 25g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 egg yolk
- 300g cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 225g blackberries
- Caster sugar, to taste
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and rub into the flour until a breadcrumb consistency is reached then stir in the icing sugar.
- Add 1 tbsp of cold water to the egg yolk and beat lightly. Pour into the flour mixture and mix gently with a round-bladed knife then mould by hand into a soft dough.
- Wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling out. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180 deg C.
- Mix together the apples and blackberries and place in a shallow 25cm (10″) pie dish. Sprinkle with caster sugar to taste.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry until large enough to cover the pie dish. Cut into 1cm wide strips and arrange in open-weave pattern across top of fruit, ensuring each end of every strip overhangs the edge of the dish by at least 2cm. Once all strips are in place, seal the edges then trim the overlaps.
- Glaze top of pie with a little milk before baking for approx. 40 minutes until golden.