- 600 ml (1 pint) water
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 225g (8oz) dried apricots, snipped into small pieces
- 225g (8oz) white breadcrumbs
- 75g (3oz) butter
- 225g (8oz) frozen chestnuts, thawed and coarsely chopped
- generous bunch parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/180°F/Gas 6. You will need a Large Oblong Roaster, buttered.
- Measure the water into a pan, add the onion and apricot pieces and boil for about 5 mins. Drain and tip into a large mixing bowl, then stir in the breadcrumbs.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and pour half into the mixing bowl with the breadcrumbs. Add the chestnuts to the remaining melted butter in the frying pan and fry for a couple of minutes over a high heat until lightly browned. Mix the chestnuts with the breadcrumbs and apricots, add parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Turn into the oblong dish and bake in pre-heated oven for about 30-35 mins until crisp and piping hot.