- 300g salt fish (dry salted cod)
- 125g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 large potato, diced and boiled until tender
- 1 egg
- 100-125ml water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large saucepan, boil the salt fish for 20 minutes to reduce the saltiness, then drain and rinse under cold water. Dry the fish on kitchen paper to remove any excess liquid, and shred the fish into flakes with your fingers.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the baking powder, spring onions, thyme, garlic, chillies, cayenne and black pepper. Add the flaked fish and cooked potato chunks and mix well.
- Mix in the egg and gradually add water until the batter is thick but not runny.
- Heat the oil in the fryer to 180°C. Add heaped teaspoons of the batter to the hot oil, taking care not to over-crowd the fryer because the fish cakes need room to expand.
- Cook the fish cakes for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the fryer and drain on kitchen paper. Serve immediately while hot and crispy.
Thai Salmon with Peanut, Lime and Chilli Crust for the Remoska®
Anjula Devi’s Mussels with Green Mango and Coconut Milk
Marinated Thai Salmon with Steamed Chilli Veg
Steamed Citrus Fish with Asparagus and Parsley Potatoes
Davina’s Cod and Pesto Parcels
Smoked Fish & Cider Pie
Tom Yum Prawn Noodles
Crisp-skinned Halibut with Pancetta, Potatoes & Blood Orange Salad