- 300g shelled pistachios or almonds
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 600g ready-made filo pastry
- 125-150g butter, melted
- 300ml water
- 350g caster sugar
- 125ml clear honey
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Zest of ½ an orange
- tsp whole cloves
- 1-1½ tsp orange blossom water, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Using a pastry brush, lightly butter a 24cm sq. cake tin.
- To make the baklava, coarsely grind the nuts in a food processor then mix in the ground cinnamon. Gently unfold the filo and cover with a clean, damp tea towel to prevent drying.
- Begin layering the sheets of filo in the oven dish, cutting in half and brushing each with melted butter. After the 6th layer, add a 3rd of the crushed nuts.
- Repeat step 3 twice then finish with 6 layers of buttered pastry. Using a sharp knife, trim any excess pastry and cut diagonally to create 4-5cm diamonds, ensuring you cut all the way to the bottom.
- Place on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. Reduce the temperature slightly if the top browns too quickly.
- To make the syrup, place all of the ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 1/3, then leave until cool.
- Remove the baklava from the oven and spoon half of the syrup over the top. Leave for 5 minutes then spoon over the remaining syrup. Allow to cool completely before serving.
Tip: Use a palette knife to help remove the baklava from the tin.
Mary Berry’s Delicious Plum Crumble
Slow-Cooked Chocolate Orange Sponge Pudding
Delicious Plum Batter Pudding
Slow-Cooked Boozy Mincemeat Sponge Pudding
The Perfect Pannacotta Recipe
Passion Fruit & Orange Curd Pavlova
Lemon & Lavender Meringue Roulade with Blueberries
Dark & White Chocolate Melt-in-the-Middle Puds