- 1kg beef chuck steak, diced into 3cm (1in) pieces
- 35g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 20g butter
- 2 medium brown onions (300g), chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped finely
- 1 trimmed celery stalk (100g), chopped finely
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 100g pearl barley
- 500ml beef stock
- 125ml dry white wine
- 500ml water
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, quartered
- 200g button mushrooms, quartered
- Preheat oven to moderately low.
- Coat beef in flour shake off excess. Heat oil in large flameproof casserole dish cook beef, in batches, until browned all over.
- Melt butter in same dish cook onion, garlic, carrot, celery and herbs, stirring, until vegetables soften. Add barley, stock, wine and the water bring to a boil. Return beef to dish, cover cook in moderately low oven 1½ hours.
- Stir in mushrooms cook, uncovered, in moderately low oven for about 30 minutes or until beef and mushrooms are tender.
- Serve stew with mash, sprinkled with fresh thyme, if desired.
Herby Toad-in-the-Hole with Red Onion Gravy
Wendy’s Christmas Eve Barbecued Leg of Lamb
Mary Berry’s Beef and Ale Stew with Horseradish Spiral Dumplings
Joe Wicks’ Sweet Potato Shakshuka
Anjula Devi’s Pulled Lamb with Fiery Mint Chutney
Joe Wicks’ Bad Boy Chilli Con Carne
Yorkshire Pudding Burger
Slow-Cooked Port & Venison Casserole with Oatmeal & Parsley Dumplings