For the pastry
- 300g plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 75g chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 75g white vegetable fat, cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
For the filling
- 200g beetroot (vacuum packed, not in vinegar), sliced
- 125g goat’s cheese, sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150ml milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme or parsley, plus sprigs to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 7.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter and white vegetable fat with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Add the poppy seeds. Stir in just enough chilled water to make a soft, but not sticky dough. Knead for a few moments, then wrap and chill for 10-20 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line 4 Loose-Based Tartlet Tins. Line with greaseproof paper and baking beans or crumpled foil and bake ‘blind’ for 10-12 minutes.
- Take the flans from the oven and remove the paper and baking beans or foil. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Arrange the beetroot and goat’s cheese in the pastry cases. Beat together the eggs and milk. Season and add the chopped thyme or parsley. Pour into the flan cases, then bake for 20 minutes, until set. Serve warm or cold, garnished with thyme or parsley sprigs.
Tip: Make sure that you choose plain beetroot – not pickled or packed in vinegar.
Mini Cheese & Tomato Quiches
Microwave Harvest Vegetable Tarte Tatin
Carrot, Courgette & Feta Savoury Flapjack
Sweet Potato, Pepper, Spinach & Mozzarella Tart
Pressure-Cooked Cheddar, Leek & Spring Onion Savoury Bread & Butter Pudding
Salmon & Asparagus Tart
Greek Lamb Pies with Feta Mash Topping
Spring Herb Tartlets