For the cakes
- 50g dark chocolate, (70% cocoa solids) broken into small pieces
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp Star Kay White Gold Star Vanilla Extract
- 175g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 50g cocoa, sieved
For the filling
- 75g black cherry conserve
- 275g Perfect Swirls Madagascan Vanilla Frosting
- Lakeland Chocolate Sprinkles
- Grease a 12 hole cupcake tin with a little cake release. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl in the microwave on high for 20 seconds. Remove from the microwave, stir and heat further if required until melted and smooth.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract then the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa and fold into the mixture using a metal spoon. Finally, fold in the melted chocolate.
- Divide the mixture equally into the cupcake tin and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until well risen and a skewer inserted into a cake in the centre of the tray comes out clean. Allow cakes to stand in the tin on a cooling rack for 10 minutes then carefully remove and allow to cool completely.
- Core each cake with the Cupcake Corer and fill each hole with a teaspoon of conserve.
- Carefully decorate the top of each cupcake with a spiral of frosting and a few sprinkles.
Tip: These cupcakes will keep for 3 days in an airtight container.