- 225g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp buttermilk or soured cream
- 2 large eggs
- 75g unsalted butter, melted
- 250g fresh blueberries
- 1 extra tbsp plain flour
For the Crumble Topping
- 25g unsalted butter, diced
- 50g plain flour
- 40g soft light brown sugar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Place all of the Crumble Topping ingredients into a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture comes together in small clumps, then set aside while you prepare the muffin batter.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4
- Line the tin with muffin cases. We used our Greaseproof Paper Muffin Cases
- In a large bowl, sift the 225g of plain flour, caster sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and pinch of salt.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the milk, buttermilk or soured cream, and eggs until combined.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add the milk mixture and melted butter and stir with a large spoon or spatula until just combined.
- Toss the blueberries in the remaining tablespoon of flour and fold into the batter mixture.
- Divide the batter equally between the paper cases and scatter the top of each muffin with the Crumble Topping
- Bake on the middle shelf of your preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown, well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.