- 1kg shin of beef, diced
- flour for dusting
- Salt and pepper
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 large white onions
- 4 carrots
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 6 juniper berries
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 500g bottle strong beer
- 2 x 400g tins of tomatoes
- Dice the beef in to good sized chunks, and place in a bowl of flour, season with lots of salt and pepper.
- Remove and shake off the excess flour.
- Heat a large heavy pan, when hot pour in the olive oil, then add half the beef and cook on all sides until nice and brown. Remove from the pan and place in the slow cooker while you cook the rest of the beef.
- Dice the onions and carrots to roughly the same size and add to the beef.
- Crumble the stock cubes on top of the beef and vegetables, then using the back of your knife squash the juniper berries and add to the slow cooker.
- Slice the garlic bulb in half and add to the slow cooker with the cinnamon stick, beer and tomatoes.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker, set the cooking dial to medium and leave it overnight or if you want it for dinner make it all in the morning and set it to cook all day.
Wendy’s Christmas Eve Barbecued Leg of Lamb
Mary Berry’s Beef and Ale Stew with Horseradish Spiral Dumplings
Joe Wicks’ Sweet Potato Shakshuka
Anjula Devi’s Pulled Lamb with Fiery Mint Chutney
Joe Wicks’ Bad Boy Chilli Con Carne
Yorkshire Pudding Burger
Slow-Cooked Port & Venison Casserole with Oatmeal & Parsley Dumplings
Spicy Meatball Popovers with Lemon & Chive Yoghurt