For the carrot & ginger juice (serves 1)
- 4-5 large carrots
- 1-2cm fresh root ginger, to taste
- Lime slices, to serve, optional
For the carrot cake
- 350g butter, plus extra to grease
- 350g soft light brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 400g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 300g carrot juice pulp
- 50g walnuts, chopped, plus extra to garnish
For the optional frosting
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g full fat soft cream cheese
- 400g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 small carrot, grated, to garnish
- Mint leaves, to garnish
- Feed the carrots and ginger into the juicer and serve as soon as possible, reserving the pulp.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and grease the cake tins.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, gradually add the eggs and then the flour. Add the cinnamon, carrot pulp and walnuts then mix well.
- Divide the cake mixture evenly between the tins, smoothing the tops with a spatula. Bake for approx. 55 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack until completely cooled.
- To make the frosting, cream together the butter and cream cheese, gradually add the icing sugar and vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Sandwich the two cakes together with half the frosting and spread the remainder on top. Garnish with the grated carrot, chopped walnuts and mint as desired.
Mini Mango & Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes
Decadent Chocolate Tiffin
Pistachio, Orange & Cardamom Mini Loaves
Step-by-Step Mother’s Day Floral Shard Cake
Valentine’s Cake Pops
Step-by-Step Valentine’s Love Bug Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Ruffle Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Face Bakes