- 325g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 75g butter
- 150g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 150ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Mix in roughly three-quarters of the cheese along with the red onion and chives.
- Beat the egg and milk together, then add just enough to the mixture to make a soft, but not sticky dough, mixing it in with a knife to bring the dough together. Avoid using your hands, as this warms the mixture.
- Flour your hands a little, then knead the dough lightly for a few moments. Turn onto a floured surface, then use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll out the dough to about 2.5cm thick.
- Using one of the loose bases as a template, cut out the dough to fit the Mini Loaf Tin – gathering and re-rolling the trimmings to make 12 in total.
- Put the dough into the Mini Loaf Tin. Brush the tops with the remaining egg mixture and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until well risen and golden brown. Cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Tip: If using plain flour, you will need 2½ level teaspoons of baking powder. Use a proper measuring spoon, and sift it into the flour to ensure thorough mixing.