For the doughnuts
- 200g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 150g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 175ml milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
For the topping
- 30 baby asparagus tips
- ½ lemon, grated zest only
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 50g prawns, thawed if frozen
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl and stir in the salt and cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, olive oil and dill, then add to the flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the tin.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the doughnuts are firm but springy to the touch. Cool for a few minutes in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, steam or griddle the asparagus tips until tender. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, stir the lemon zest into the mayonnaise and spoon a little into the centre of each doughnut. Top each with a prawn and an asparagus tip, then chill in the fridge until serving.
Tip: for ease, pipe the mixture into a doughnut tin using a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle. These savoury doughnuts are best eaten on the day they are made. They can also be prepared in advance and frozen, adding the topping before serving.