- 250g dark chocolate, broken up
- 100g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 150ml water
- 4 egg yolks
- 500ml double cream
- Place the chocolate and butter into a saucepan and warm, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Place the sugar and water into a clean pan. Stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves then turn up the heat and boil for a few minutes until you have a light, clear syrup. Leave to cool for a minute.
- Place the yolks into a bowl and whisk, gradually adding the hot syrup, until thick and mousse-like. Whisk in the cream then fold in the chocolate mixture until well combined.
- Set the timer on your ice cream maker for 30 minutes. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the paddle running and leave to freeze churn. If you prefer a firmer consistency, place the bowl of your ice cream maker in your freezer for 20-30 minutes.