- 255g plain chocolate
- 142g unsalted butter
- 75g granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp cinnamon extract
- 1 tsp clove extract
- pinch nutmeg
- 113g granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to Gas 4 / 180ºC and lightly grease a 20cm (8″) cake pan then line the bottom with parchment.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water, stirring often.
- whisk the egg yolks and first sugar together until in light in colour, add the extracts and nutmeg then whisk in the chocolate mixture.
- whisk the egg whites until frothy then gradually add in the second sugar and whisk until medium peaks form.
- gently fold into the chocolate mixture, pour into cake pan and bake for 50 minutes.
- allow to cool then place in fridge until firm.
- warm the outside of cake pan with a hot tea towel, run a knife round the edge and invert onto a plate. Invert once again so the top is right side up.