- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 200g icing sugar, and a little extra for dusting
- 250g ground almonds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/Gas 2. Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until frothy. Add the lemon juice and whisk again until they form soft peaks.
- Add the icing sugar, little by little, and continue to whisk until the mixture is stiff. Set aside a quarter of the mixture. Add the almonds, cinnamon, ginger and lemon zest to the remaining mixture and mix to form a stiff, sticky dough.
- Place the dough on a piece of baking parchment dusted with icing sugar. Top the dough with another piece of parchment and roll to about 5mm thick. Peel off the top piece of parchment and cut out as many cookies as possible using the green or blue star cutters. Place on the lined baking sheet.
- Cover the top of each star with a little of the reserved meringue mixture. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the meringue is set but not browned. Leave to cool then store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.