- 200g new potatoes, sliced
- 1 large aubergine, cut into thick rounds
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into thick strips
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- juice of 12 lemon
- 8 chicken thighs or 8 chicken legs, bone in and skin on
- 1 tsp dried herbes de Provence
- 16 cherry tomatoes, left whole
- handful of black olives, pitted
- large handful of basil leaves
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the potatoes. Bring the water back to the boil and cook the potatoes for 2 minutes to parboil them, then drain them thoroughly.
- Put all the vegetables, including the potatoes, in a large roasting tin. Whisk together the olive oil, paprika and lemon juice, then drizzle half this mixture over the vegetables. Pour the rest over the chicken and rub it in, then place the chicken on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle over the herbs and season everything with salt and pepper.
- Cover the roasting tin with foil and put it in the oven for half an hour. At the end of this time, have a quick look at the vegetables ─ they should feel tender when pierced with a knife.
- Remove the foil and add the cherry tomatoes, then put the tin back in the oven, uncovered, for another 15─20 minutes, until the chicken is well browned and cooked through. Serve sprinkled with black olives and basil leaves.