- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 600g skinless chicken thigh fillets, trimmed of fat and cut into strips
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 large red peppers, cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 12 tsp saffron, soaked in 2 tbsp boiling water
- 300ml chicken stock
- 12 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 50g pitted green olives, halved
- 25g capers, rinsed
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- salt and black pepper
- chopped parsley leaves
- basil leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan that has a lid. Fry the chicken over a high heat until it’s browned on all sides. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- Add the onions and peppers and fry them briskly for a couple of minutes over a high heat, then turn down the heat, add about 50ml of water and cover the pan. Leave the veg to cook for 10 minutes until they’ve softened but are still keeping their shape.
- Add the garlic and cook it for a couple of minutes, then put the chicken back in the pan. Add the saffron to the chicken stock, then pour this over the vegetables and chicken and season with the paprika and some salt and black pepper.
- Bring the liquid to the boil, then turn down the heat to a gentle simmer and add the olives, capers, lemon zest and juice. Cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is well reduced. Serve garnished with lots of parsley and basil leaves.
Copyright © Davina McCall, 2016. Extracted from Davina’s SmartCarbs by Davina McCall. Published by Orion. Photographer: Andrew Hayes-Watkins
Orange, Thyme & Pine Nut Roasted Chicken for the Remoska®
Mary Berry’s Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Anjula Devi’s Chicken Curry
Anjula Devi’s Chicken Thighs with Pomegranate
Red Thai Chicken & Pineapple Curry
Steamed Chicken & Vegetable Noodle Bowl
Chicken & Cucumber Risotto
Coronation Chicken with Mango & Lime