- 3 sweet potatoes (600g)
- 1 red pepper (100g)
- 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- salt and pepper
- 400g can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g bag of spinach
- 250g coconut yogurt (optional but amazing!)
- Peel the sweet potatoes, then chop them into very small (about 2cm) pieces. Chop the red pepper into pieces of the same size, discarding its ribs and seeds.
- Place the sweet potatoes and red pepper into a large saucepan with the canned tomatoes and 600ml of boiling water, then bring it all to the boil.
- As it boils, add the garlic, chilli powder, cumin, coriander, miso paste, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to a simmer, put the lid on the pan and allow it to cook for about 1 hour, making sure to stir it about every 5 minutes.
- Now the sweet potatoes should be soft. Add the black beans to the stew with the spinach and coconut yogurt, if using, and stir well until the spinach has wilted totally. (Or serve the coconut yogurt on top, instead, as we did for the photograph.)
- Serve with rice, quinoa or mashed avocado.
Tweak It – If you don’t have coconut yogurt and you’re OK eating dairy, use Greek yogurt instead make sure it’s full-fat though as it’s much creamier and thicker, which makes this more delicious.
Recipe extracted from Deliciously Ella Every Day by Ella Woodward, published by Yellow Kite.
© Ella Woodward 2016. Photography Clare Winfield.