For the cupcakes
- 90g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 115g caster sugar
- 50g ground almonds
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100ml natural yoghurt
- 115g unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
For the buttercream
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 350g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Wilton® Golden Yellow, Pink and Violet Icing Colours (from the 8 Icing Colour pack)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Line the tin with paper cupcake cases and set aside.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar and almonds.
- Break the eggs into another bowl, beat in the vanilla and yoghurt, then stir in the melted butter until well mixed.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, then pour in the egg mixture and beat until just smooth and well mixed.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the cupcake cases and smooth the top of each. Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until well risen, lightly golden and a skewer comes out cleanly.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes in the tin then remove from the tin and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream. In a food processor or using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter until very soft and fluffy, then add the icing sugar a little at a time until it is all incorporated and well mixed. Whisk in the water and vanilla extract and continue to whisk until very fluffy and light.
- Divide the buttercream equally between three bowls. Using a cocktail stick and just a little colour at a time, add Golden Yellow to the first bowl, Pink to the second and Violet to the third, stirring and adding until the desired shade of each is reached.
- Fit a star-shaped nozzle to a piping bag then spoon in the yellow buttercream, squeezing out any air and folding the top of the bag over to seal. Pipe the buttercream onto four of the cooled cupcakes, starting at the outside edge and working your way into the middle to create a raised swirl in the centre.
- Rinse the nozzle and repeat step 9 with a fresh piping bag and the pink buttercream. Do the same with the violet buttercream.
- Decorate the cupcakes with the edible wafers, following the guidelines on the pack. Leave for approximately 15 minutes for the buttercream to firm up slightly.
- Once the buttercream has firmed up enough, use three food-safe brushes to very gently brush the gold silk over the yellow buttercream, the red silk over the pink and the lilac silk over the violet to give the cakes a pretty shimmery finish.