- 1.25 litres beef stock
- 1 heaped tablespoon shredded ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 180g egg noodles
- 1 x 300g piece fillet steak, thinly sliced
- 200g oyster mushrooms
- 1 white onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 15g Thai or ordinary basil leaves
- 5g Vietnamese mint or coriander leaves
- 180g bean sprouts, trimmed
- 2 large red or green chillies
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Place the stock, ginger, garlic, star anise and cinnamon in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cook the noodles in a separate saucepan of boiling water for 2─3 minutes or until tender. Drain and divide the noodles between bowls.
- Cook the beef in the broth, in batches, for 25─30 seconds until just cooked and pink. Top the noodles with the beef. Remove the star anise and cinnamon from the broth and discard. Add the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Divide the broth and mushrooms between the bowls and top with the onion, basil, mint and bean sprouts. Serve with chilli and lemon wedges.
Text copyright (c) Donna Hay Pty Ltd 2014 Design copyright (c) Donna Hay Pty Ltd 2014 Photographs copyright (c) William Meppem Ltd 2014