- 55g caster sugar
- 60ml water
- 3 fresh red chillies, de-seeded & finely chopped
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 165g caster sugar
- 165g brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 300g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 400g good quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F, grease two oven trays and line with baking parchment.
- To make the candied chillies, heat the sugar and water in a small pan, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the chillies, boil for 2 minutes then allow to cool. Strain and discard the syrup.
- Beat the butter, vanilla, sugars and egg with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda and stir into butter mixture in two batches. Stir in the chocolate and candied chillies.
- Spoon 24 dollops of the mixture onto each tray, keeping them about 5cm apart. Bake for about 12 minutes then allow to cool on trays.