For strawberry jam doughnuts
- 454g jar strawberry jam
For creamy vanilla custard doughnuts
- 250ml full-cream milk
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 65g caster sugar, plus 2 tbsp extra
- 40g plain flour
- 100ml double cream
For the strawberry jam doughnuts
- In a saucepan, gently warm the strawberry jam, or your favourite flavour, over a low heat.
- Place the jam into a piping bag fitted with a nozzle such as the Stainless Steel Piping Tube. Make a hole in the crease of each doughnut, around the white line between the fried top and bottom, and pipe around 3 tbsp jam into each doughnut.
For the creamy vanilla custard doughnuts
- In a saucepan, slowly bring the milk just to the boil over a gentle heat.
- Meanwhile, place the vanilla, egg yolks and 65g caster sugar in a bowl and mix for a few seconds, then sift in the flour and mix again.
- Pour the just boiling milk over the yolk mixture, whisking continuously to prevent curdling, then return the mixture to the saucepan. Cook over a medium heat, whisking constantly for about 5 minutes, until very thick.
- Pour the custard through a fine sieve into a bowl. Cover the surface of the custard with cling film to prevent a skin forming. Leave to cool, then refrigerate.
- Whip the cream and the 2 tbsp sugar together until thick but not over-whipped, and fold into the chilled custard.
- Place the custard into a piping bag fitted with a nozzle such as the Stainless Steel Piping Tube. Make a hole in the crease of each doughnut, around the white line between the fried top and bottom, and pipe custard into the doughnut until swollen.
Mini Mango & Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes
Decadent Chocolate Tiffin
Pistachio, Orange & Cardamom Mini Loaves
Step-by-Step Mother’s Day Floral Shard Cake
Valentine’s Cake Pops
Step-by-Step Valentine’s Love Bug Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Ruffle Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Face Bakes