- 700g chopped dates
- 200ml espresso or strong black coffee
- 400g self-raising flour
- 250g butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 100g whole roasted hazelnuts
- 4tbsp milk
- Soak the chopped dates in the coffee for 10 minutes or so until the liquid has been absorbed and the dates have plumped up and softened.
- Rub together the flour and the butter, then add the sugar. Whisk the eggs and add to the mixture.
- Pour in the soaked dates and the hazelnuts. Finally add the milk and mix together well.
- Divide the mixture between two silicone or greased and lined metal loaf tins.
- Bake for 1 hour at 130°C then reduce the temperature to 100°C and cook for a further hour.