- 500g wholegrain spelt flour, plus extra to dust
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 7g dried yeast, prepared in accordance with pack instructions
- 300ml lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra to grease
- 100g dried figs, chopped roughly
- 50g chopped walnuts
- 60ml orange juice
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar together in a large bowl then add the yeast and water and stir until well combined. While the mix is still lumpy add the oil and knead well to make a smooth, pliable dough. Transfer the dough to a clean bowl, cover with lightly oiled clingfilm and leave in a warm place to double in size (approx. 1 hour). Meanwhile, combine the figs and walnuts with the orange juice and leave to soak.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/Gas 3 and lightly grease a tin.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, add the soaked figs and walnuts with the juice then knead firmly for several minutes until evenly dispersed. Shape the dough into a smooth ball and place in the tin. Cover with oiled clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place for about 40 minutes until loaf has risen and fills the tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. When cooked, the base should make a hollow sound when tapped. Remove from the tin and place on a wire cooling rack until completely cold.
Sticky Lemon & Pistachio Whirlybuns for the Remoska®
Hot Dog Buns
Cheddar Cheese Mini Loaf Scones
Chilli & Spring Onion Cornbread with Summer Herb Spread
Pressure-Cooked Cheddar, Leek & Spring Onion Savoury Bread & Butter Pudding
Mozzarella & Sun-Dried Tomato Mini Loaves
Gluten-Free Cheese & Garlic Tear & Share Bread