- 4 fresh tuna steaks, each weighing about 175g (6oz)
- 45ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil
- Juice 1 lemon
For the salsa
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded
- 1 firm but ripe mango
- 1 firm but ripe papaya (paw paw)
- 4 firm, ripe tomatoes
- Large bunch fresh coriander
- 2.5ml (½ teaspoon) Tabasco sauce
- Juice and zest of ½ lime
- 1 red chilli pepper, deseeded and very finely chopped
- 1 medium avocado
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the tuna in a shallow dish, drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and the squeezed juice of half the lemon. Cover the dish with clingfilm set aside to marinate in a cool place and in the meantime, make the salsa.
- Place the onion into a large bowl. Chop the red and yellow peppers into small dice and add to the bowl. Peel and prepare the mango and papaya, then dice the flesh into cubes of about 1cm (½″). Cut the tomatoes into quarters, remove the seeds and cut into small dice. Add to the bowl. Chop the coriander finely, and add this, together with the Tabasco, lime zest and juice and chilli pepper. Peel the avocado remove the stone, cut into cubes and add everything to the other ingredients. Stir carefully but thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Leave to stand for a while to allow the flavours to develop.
- Pat the tuna steaks to remove the marinade and brush lightly on both sides with a little fresh olive oil. Place in a griddle pan and cook the steaks for 2-3 minutes on each side, depending on their thickness. Take care not to overcook ─ the steaks should still be a little pink in the centre.
- Remove from the griddle, squeeze over a little extra lemon juice and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately with a generous dollop of the Tropical Fruit Salsa.
Anjula Devi’s Mussels with Green Mango and Coconut Milk
Marinated Thai Salmon with Steamed Chilli Veg
Steamed Citrus Fish with Asparagus and Parsley Potatoes
Avocado Prawn Hug
Davina’s Cod and Pesto Parcels
Smoked Fish & Cider Pie
Tom Yum Prawn Noodles
Crisp-skinned Halibut with Pancetta, Potatoes & Blood Orange Salad