- 1 small ciabatta loaf, torn into small chunks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cooked ham hock (from your supermarket deli counter), or use 500g shredded cooked ham
- 2-3 little gem lettuces
- 1 small cucumber, halved and deseeded with a teaspoon
- 50g Parmesan shavings
- Large handful of fresh tarragon, leaves picked
For the dressing:
- 4 tbsp cider vinegar
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan
- 4 tbsp creme
- 200ml extra-virgin olive oil
- To make the dressing, whisk the cider vinegar with the mustard and garlic. Season well. Stir in the Parmesan and creme , then whisk in the olive oil until thick. Pour into a jam jar, screw on the lid and chill until ready to use.
- Fry the ciabatta pieces in the oil until golden and crisp, then set aside on kitchen paper to cool. Transfer to a small tub or plastic bag.
- Remove the meat from the ham hock and tear into bite-size chunks. Put in a large bowl or container. Separate the lettuces into leaves and add to the ham hock.
- Cut the cucumber into half-moons and add to the container with the Parmesan shavings and tarragon.
- Once you’re at your picnic spot, add the croutons to the salad and shake the dressing in the jar. Pour over the salad, toss well and serve.
Per serving: 499kcals, 40.6g fat (10.1g saturated), 14.7g protein, 19.4g carbs, 2.6g sugar, 1.9g salt, 1.6g fibre
Anjula Devi’s Spicy Warm Roasted Tomato and Cumin Salad
Warm Quinoa, Couscous & Feta Salad
Pink Grapefruit, Fennel & Rocket Salad
Warm Spiced Orange & Plum Fruit Salad
Warm Lentil & Seared Rosemary Lamb Salad
Warm Goat’s Cheese & Courgette Salad
Watercress, Pea & Almond Salad
Seared Tuna Steak Salad with Ginger & Lime Vinaigrette