- 1 small ciabatta loaf, torn into small chunks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cooked ham hock (from your supermarket deli counter), or use 500g shredded cooked ham
- 2-3 little gem lettuces
- 1 small cucumber, halved and deseeded with a teaspoon
- 50g Parmesan shavings
- Large handful of fresh tarragon, leaves picked
For the dressing:
- 4 tbsp cider vinegar
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan
- 4 tbsp creme
- 200ml extra-virgin olive oil
- To make the dressing, whisk the cider vinegar with the mustard and garlic. Season well. Stir in the Parmesan and creme , then whisk in the olive oil until thick. Pour into a jam jar, screw on the lid and chill until ready to use.
- Fry the ciabatta pieces in the oil until golden and crisp, then set aside on kitchen paper to cool. Transfer to a small tub or plastic bag.
- Remove the meat from the ham hock and tear into bite-size chunks. Put in a large bowl or container. Separate the lettuces into leaves and add to the ham hock.
- Cut the cucumber into half-moons and add to the container with the Parmesan shavings and tarragon.
- Once you’re at your picnic spot, add the croutons to the salad and shake the dressing in the jar. Pour over the salad, toss well and serve.
Per serving: 499kcals, 40.6g fat (10.1g saturated), 14.7g protein, 19.4g carbs, 2.6g sugar, 1.9g salt, 1.6g fibre
Vegan Edamame, Lime, and Sesame Jar Salad
Anjula Devi’s Spicy Warm Roasted Tomato and Cumin Salad
Warm Quinoa, Couscous & Feta Salad
Pink Grapefruit, Fennel & Rocket Salad
Warm Spiced Orange & Plum Fruit Salad
Warm Lentil & Seared Rosemary Lamb Salad
Warm Goat’s Cheese & Courgette Salad
Watercress, Pea & Almond Salad