- 5 egg whites
- 300g caster sugar
- 5-6 drops Hazelnut Flavour
- 5g instant coffee dissolved in 1-2 tsp hot water and mixed to a smooth paste
- 225g dark chocolate
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 300ml whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 100°C/210°F.
- In a clean dry bowl whisk the egg whites until they are stiff and do not move if the bowl is turned on its side.
- Gradually add the sugar, keeping whisking as you add, until it is all combined and the mixture is glossy.
- Spoon half the meringue mixture into a second, clean dry bowl, add the hazelnut flavour and combine gently but well.
- Add the dissolved coffee into the remaining meringue mixture, gently folding it in until evenly mixed through.
- Fit a star nozzle to the coupler and fill the Duo Colour Icing Bag compartments with the two mixtures.
- Pipe a drop of meringue onto each corner of two baking sheets to secure your baking parchment to the trays. Pipe the meringues onto the parchment with a small space between each and bake for 35-45 minutes until crisp on the outside. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues in the oven until it has gone completely cold.
- Make the chocolate filling: put a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water ─ break the chocolate into the bowl and stir until it has melted. When the chocolate has melted completely, add the butter, syrup and cream, stirring until they are well combined, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Whip the cream into soft peaks, with a few drops of hazelnut flavour if desired, and spoon it into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Spread chocolate filling onto half the meringues, pipe cream onto the others and sandwich them together.
Tip: The unfilled meringues will keep in an airtight jar for 2-3 weeks.