For the cake
- 225g unsalted butter, cubed
- 250g clear honey
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 300g self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp apricot jam, sieved
- 250g pink Renshaws Ready-To-Roll Icing
- A little white vegetable fat for rolling out icing
- 100g Icing Powder
- 80ml water
- Grease the pan with a little Cake Release. Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas 3.
- Place the butter in a medium saucepan with the honey and sugar and melt slowly over a low heat. Once the mixture has melted, increase the heat to medium and allow it to come to a boil then reduce heat slightly and cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time. Leave to cool for 15-20 minutes to prevent the eggs cooking when they are mixed in.
- Beat the eggs into the melted honey mixture. Sift the flour into a large bowl then pour in the egg and honey mixture, beating until you have a smooth, slightly runny batter.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 50-60 minutes until the cake is well-risen and golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Place the pan on a wire cooling rack and allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before turning out and allowing it to cool completely. Place on a plate or cake stand slightly wider than the cake itself.
- Warm the jam gently and brush all over the cake, reserving a little for later. To prevent the icing sticking, rub a little fat onto the worktop then work the icing into a ball in your hands before rolling it out until it’s wide enough to completely cover the cake, about 30cm Dia. Use the rolling pin to support the icing as you place it over the cake. Smooth the icing out from the centre and down the sides, patting it in place against the cake, and trim off any excess.
- Make the lace ribbon and motifs by mixing the Magic Icing Powder and water then spread over the silicone mats in accordance with the instructions given. When the decorations are ready, brush where they will go on the cake lightly with the reserved apricot jam, place them in position and gently peel the mats away.
Mini Mango & Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes
Decadent Chocolate Tiffin
Pistachio, Orange & Cardamom Mini Loaves
Step-by-Step Mother’s Day Floral Shard Cake
Valentine’s Cake Pops
Step-by-Step Valentine’s Love Bug Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Ruffle Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Face Bakes