- 4 fresh red bird’s eye (thin) chillies, stalks removed.
- 1 dried chipotle chilli
- 4 ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 celery stick chopped
- 2 tbsp agave syrup or clear honey
- 1 tbsp tomato pure
- 2tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 150ml. (5fl. oz) organic apple juice
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Put all the ingredients except the salt and pepper in a preserving pan or a large heavy-based stainless steel saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat. Cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes or until pulpy.
- Pure in a blender or food processor with 5 tbsp of water, stopping and scraping down the sides as necessary, then rub through a sieve into a bowl. Season to taste.
- Pour the sauce into warm sterilized jars with nonmetallic or vinegar-proof lids, top with waxed paper discs, seal and store in the fridge for up to one month.
Tip: This will store for 1 month refrigerated.