For the wholemeal pastry
- 200g plain wholemeal flour
- Pinch salt
- 100g butter, diced
- 4 tbsp cold water
For the filling
- 2 x 130g hot smoked salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100ml creme
- 5 eggs
- 250ml double cream
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 15g prepared weight of watercress, stems removed
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and crushed (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sift the flour and salt in a bowl, then add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Using a round-bladed knife stir in 4 tbsp cold water, or enough to bind to a soft but not sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a surface lightly dusted with wholemeal flour and knead very lightly until smooth. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6 while the pastry is chilling. Roll the pastry out on a floured surface to a 35cm circle, 3mm thick. Line the Perfobake tin with the pastry, using your rolling pin to carefully lift it into place.
- Press the pastry into the sides of the tin then trim off any excess and lightly prick the base with a fork.
- Line the tin with baking parchment and baking beans, place on a baking tray and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes or until crisp and lightly golden. Remove from the oven and reduce the heat to 180°C/Gas 4.
- To prepare the filling, place the salmon fillets in an ovenproof dish and drizzle with the olive oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the fish flakes easily. Remove from the oven and wait until the fish is cool enough to handle.
- Flake the salmon into chunky pieces, discarding any skin and bones. In a jug, beat the creme and eggs together until very smooth, then stir in the cream, lemon juice, watercress, dill, garlic (if using) and seasoning.
- Scatter the flaked salmon into the pastry case, then pour over the egg mixture and smooth the surface. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until set and golden. Serve hot, or leave to cool on a wire rack and serve chilled.
Tip: You may find you will need more water than usual when making wholemeal pastry as the flour is quite absorbent.
Two-Potato Cheddar & Parmesan Gratin
Spinach, Pepper & Tomato Tortilla Bake
New Potato, Courgette & Pea Frittata for the Remoska®
Mini Cheese & Tomato Quiches
Microwave Harvest Vegetable Tarte Tatin
Beetroot & Goat’s Cheese Tartlets
Carrot, Courgette & Feta Savoury Flapjack
Sweet Potato, Pepper, Spinach & Mozzarella Tart