For the cake
- 375g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 300g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 100g pecan nuts, chopped
- 200g fresh pineapple, chopped into small pieces
- 3-4 bananas (approx. 300g), mashed
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 400g icing sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 175g full fat cream cheese
- 100g fresh pineapple, skin removed, thinly sliced
- 100g pecan nuts, finely chopped
- Grease and flour the cake pans. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and nuts. Add the remaining ingredients and fold together until evenly mixed.
- Divide the mixture between the cake pans and place in the oven for 30-35 minutes until golden on top and a skewer inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans on a wire rack for around 15 minutes then remove from the pans and leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a clean bowl beat together the frosting ingredients until smooth. Spoon one third of the frosting into the centre of one cake and spread evenly, sandwich on the second cake then cover the top and sides of the whole cake with a thin layer of frosting, reserving the rest for the final layer. Don’t worry if you get crumbs in this layer as it will be covered later. Allow to set for about 30 minutes.
- To make pineapple flowers’ to decorate the top of the cake, preheat the oven to 150°C/Gas 3 then place the pineapple slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes, turning once. Remove from the oven and transfer into the cups of a shallow bun tin then bake for a further 15 minutes until the edges brown slightly. Remove from the oven, cool completely in the tin then set aside until required.
Mini Mango & Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes
Decadent Chocolate Tiffin
Pistachio, Orange & Cardamom Mini Loaves
Step-by-Step Mother’s Day Floral Shard Cake
Valentine’s Cake Pops
Step-by-Step Valentine’s Love Bug Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Ruffle Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Face Bakes