- 500g strong wholemeal bread flour, plus a little extra for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- 1 x 7g sachet fast-acting dried yeast
- 100g Knead The Seed 8 Seed Mix, plus 1 tbsp for sprinkling
- 350ml warm water
- Lightly grease the loaf tin. Place the flour, salt, oil, treacle, yeast and seed mix into a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the water and gradually mix to form a dough, continuing to mix by hand to produce a smooth dough which leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with greased cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 1½-2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough onto the floured surface and knead for a further 5 minutes.
- Shape the dough so that it fits evenly into the loaf tin, seam side down. Place the tin inside a greased polythene bag and leave to prove in a warm place for 1-1½ hours or until doubled in size. When proving is nearly complete, preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7.
- Remove from the bag, brush with a little water and sprinkle 1 tbsp seed mix over the loaf. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the loaf is dark brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a wire rack.
Tip: You can use individual sachets of dried active yeast or measure it out from larger packets ─ we have used both in our recipes.
Hot Dog Buns
Chilli & Spring Onion Cornbread with Summer Herb Spread
Slow-Cooked Breakfast Banana Bread
Slow-Cooked Cranberry & Rosemary Soda Bread
Pressure-Cooked Cheddar, Leek & Spring Onion Savoury Bread & Butter Pudding
Mozzarella & Sun-Dried Tomato Mini Loaves
Gluten-Free Cheese & Garlic Tear & Share Bread