- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 large red onion, sliced thinly
- 200g dried green lentils, rinsed
- 150ml red wine
- 300ml chicken or vegetable stock, hot
- 400ml passata
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- Griddled toast (sourdough if you have some) or garlic bread to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large high-sided frying pan over a medium heat and fry the bacon until starting to crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Add the onion to the pan, reduce the heat to low, then soften for 6 minutes.
- Stir through the dried green lentils, then pour over the red wine. Bubble for a couple of minutes until reduced, then pour over the hot stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add the passata and stir in the chickpeas, dried rosemary and thyme, and crisp fried bacon. Simmer for 5 minutes more until the stock has been absorbed and the lentils are just tender. Season well with a little salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper. Serve spooned into bowls with griddled toasts or garlic bread for dipping.
PER SERVING 461kcals, 13.2g fat (3.7g saturated), 19.7g protein, 47.2g carbs, 3.1g sugar, 1.4g salt
Chef’s tip: Perfect served alongside leftover sausages or pork chops. This dish would also be good served cold the following day with a little crumbled feta and a few rocket leaves stirred through. To add extra texture, use a good-quality tin of chopped tomatoes instead of the passata.
Wendy’s Christmas Eve Barbecued Leg of Lamb
Mary Berry’s Beef and Ale Stew with Horseradish Spiral Dumplings
Joe Wicks’ Sweet Potato Shakshuka
Anjula Devi’s Pulled Lamb with Fiery Mint Chutney
Joe Wicks’ Bad Boy Chilli Con Carne
Yorkshire Pudding Burger
Slow-Cooked Port & Venison Casserole with Oatmeal & Parsley Dumplings
Spicy Meatball Popovers with Lemon & Chive Yoghurt