For the sponge
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- 75g chopped walnuts
- 150g grated carrots
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 large eggs
- 225ml sunflower oil
For the topping
- 250g full-fat soft cheese
- 75g softened butter
- 150g sifted icing sugar
- 12 teaspoon vanilla extract
- walnut halves, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Grease a 23cm (9 inch) deep square cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Measure all the ingredients for the cake into a large bowl and beat well until thoroughly blended and smooth. Turn into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 1 hour until the cake is well risen and shrinking away from the sides of the tin. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out, peel off the parchment and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- For the topping, measure all the ingredients, except the walnuts, into a bowl or into a food processor, and blitz until smooth. Spread over the top of the cake with a spatula and decorate the top with the walnut halves. Chill a little before serving and store in the fridge as the topping is soft.
Recipe adapted from Mary Berry’s Baking Bible
Mini Mango & Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes
Decadent Chocolate Tiffin
Pistachio, Orange & Cardamom Mini Loaves
Step-by-Step Mother’s Day Floral Shard Cake
Valentine’s Cake Pops
Step-by-Step Valentine’s Love Bug Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Ruffle Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Face Bakes