For the pastry swirls
- A little flour for dusting
- 320g ready-rolled puff pastry
- 150g mincemeat
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Zest of 1 small orange, finely grated, juice reserved for icing
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- Edible Gold Stars
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
- On a lightly floured surface, cut the pastry sheet lengthways into 3 even strips, each measuring 36 x 8cm.
- Mix together the mincemeat, cinnamon and orange zest in a bowl. Divide the mixture into 3 equal portions and spread onto each pastry strip, almost to the edges.
- Firmly roll up each strip length-ways to give 3 long rolls. Cut each roll into 16 even-sized pieces. Place into the cake tin, sliced surface upwards, pressing them down gently.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Cool for a few minutes in the tin before carefully lifting out onto a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with a little of the orange juice, stirring well until you have a fairly thin consistency. Drizzle the icing over the pastry swirls and sprinkle with gold stars. Serve warm or cold.
Tip: For ease, pipe the mixture into the doughnut tin using a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle. These savoury doughnuts are best eaten on the day they are made. They can also be prepared in advance and frozen, adding the topping before serving.