For the cakes
- 200g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 2 unwaxed lemons
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 200g plain flour
- 2 level tsps baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 50g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp milk
For the topping
- 150g icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly grease the loaf tin.
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar until pale, light and fluffy.
- Grate the zest from the lemons, reserve 2 tsp zest to decorate, and add the rest to the mixture. Gradually add the beaten eggs, mixing well between each addition.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Using a large metal spoon, fold into the cake mixture, then fold in the ground almonds.
- Add the milk and the juice from one lemon and mix until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the Mini Rectangular Loaf Tin and level with a teaspoon.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of the one of the cakes comes out clean. Leave the cakes to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then ease out onto a wire rack and leave until completely cool.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon. Mix the lemon juice into the icing sugar a little at a time, until the icing is smooth and runny and will coat the back of a spoon. Discard any remaining lemon juice. Drizzle the icing sugar over the cakes and sprinkle with the reserved zest.