- 1 30 x 30cm muslin square
- 40 whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 20 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 whole nutmeg, grated
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 4 x 20cm lengths of string
- 4 bottles of red wine
- 4 gift tags
- Cut the muslin into quarters, so you have four evenly sized squares. Lay each one out on a work surface and start adding the spices place 10 cloves, 5 cardamom pods ¼ of the ground nutmeg and ¼ tsp of the ground ginger on each.
- Gather up the edges of the muslin squares to form small bags and tie securely with the string, attaching the cinnamon stick and making a loop to hang the bag over a wine bottle neck.
- Write this recipe onto the gift tags Put the wine, spice bag and 100g granulated sugar into a pan. Heat gently, without boiling, until the sugar dissolves. Add 100ml orange juice and 1 -2 tbsp brandy or port. Add one small, sliced orange (skin on), stir and serve.
- Hang a muslin bag and gift tag on each wine bottle neck.