- 750ml bottle of red wine
- 60g demerara sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A light grating of fresh nutmeg
- 2 star anise
- 1 orange, halved
- 60ml sloe gin, optional
- Star anise and sliced orange to garnish, optional
- Place the wine, sugar, spices and orange in a large saucepan.
- Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Taste add a little more sugar if needed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sloe gin, if required.
- Using a small sieve or tea strainer, strain into heatproof glasses. Garnish with the star anise and orange, if required, and serve immediately.