- 135g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extract
- 2½ tbsp cornflour
- 350ml whole milk
- 65g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- Whisk the 135g of sugar, egg, yolks, vanilla extract and cornflour in a bowl.
- Heat the milk and 65g of sugar in a saucepan over a low to medium heat until foam rises, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Temper the egg mixture with the hot milk mixture by gradually adding a little of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture and stirring after each addition.
- Pour the tempered mixture into the saucepan. Heat over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the pastry cream reaches 70˚C and thickens. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter. Spread over baking parchment to cool.