- 90g butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- orange glacé icing
- 320g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon softened butter
- 2 tablespoons strained orange juice, approximately
- 8 blue sugared almonds
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-assisted. Line eight holes of 12-hole (80ml) muffin pan with paper cases.
- Beat butter, rind, sugar, eggs, sifted flour and milk in small bowl with electric mixer on low speed until ingredients are combined. Increase speed to medium beat until mixture has changed to a paler colour. Drop 3 tablespoons of mixture into paper cases.
- Bake about 20 minutes. Stand cakes in pan 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- Make orange glacé icing – Sift icing sugar into small heatproof bowl stir in butter and enough of the juice to make a thick paste. Stir over small saucepan of simmering water until icing is spreadable.
- Working with one cold cake at a time, spread top with icing. Position a sugared almond in the centre of each cake before icing has set.
- Tip We used blue sugared almond, available from specialist cake and wedding shops and websites, but you can use any colour.