For the roasted pepper paste
- 250g jar roasted peppers, drained
- 100ml olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ tsp salt
For the liquid base
- 200ml Essential Cuisine fish stock
- 200ml dry white wine
- 6-8 strands saffron
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 anchovies in oil
- 1 star anise
For the stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 150g potato, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 mackerel fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 200g squid tubes, cut into small strips
- 200g raw king prawns
- 400g black mussels, cleaned
- Salt and pepper
- Small bunch flat leaf parsley, stalks removed then chopped
- To make the paste, combine the peppers, olive oil, garlic and salt in a jug and pure with a hand blender until smooth.
- To make the liquid base, combine the fish stock, wine, saffron, tomatoes and anchovies in a jug and blend with a hand blender until smooth. Add star anise.
- To make the stew, heat the oil in a lidded wok over a medium heat, add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until beginning to soften. Add the potato and the roasted pepper paste, put the lid on and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the liquid base followed by the mackerel, squid, prawns and mussels and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, replace the lid and cook for 8 minutes.
- Discard any unopened mussels, taste then season and garnish with parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
Anjula Devi’s Mussels with Green Mango and Coconut Milk
Marinated Thai Salmon with Steamed Chilli Veg
Steamed Citrus Fish with Asparagus and Parsley Potatoes
Avocado Prawn Hug
Davina’s Cod and Pesto Parcels
Smoked Fish & Cider Pie
Tom Yum Prawn Noodles
Crisp-skinned Halibut with Pancetta, Potatoes & Blood Orange Salad