- 1kg ham hock
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 litres water
- 375g kale, coarsely shredded
- 400g tin cannellini beans, rinsed
- 6 tbsp fresh basil, chopped coarsely
- 250g sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 40g flaked parmesan cheese
- Combine the ham hock, onion, celery, carrot, tomatoes, rosemary, chilli and water in a 4.5 litre slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the ham hock, add the kale and beans. Cook, covered, on high for 20 minutes, or until kale is wilted.
- When ham hock is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone and shred coarsely. Discard skin, fat and bone. Add meat and basil to soup, season to taste.
- Break chunks of bread into serving bowls, top with soup and cheese. Or serve in a hollowed-out crusty loaf.
Slow-Cooked Port & Venison Casserole with Oatmeal & Parsley Dumplings
Essential Cuisine’s 7-Hour Leg of Lamb with Garlic & Anchovies
Slow-cooked Shoulder of Lamb with Chilli Jam & Rosemary
Spring Lamb Casserole with Minted Rice
Sausage & Red Cabbage Casserole
Slow Cooked Moroccan Lamb Shanks with Caramelised Onions
Olive & Parsley Couscous
Lamb Stew with Artichoke & Peas