- 2kg corner piece beef topside roast
- 500ml dry red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 70g wholegrain mustard
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium carrots, chopped coarsely
- 1 large leek, chopped coarsely
- 2 trimmed sticks celery, chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 375ml beef stock
- 150g plain flour
- ½tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 125ml milk
- 125ml water
- Combine beef, wine, bay leaves, peppercorns, mustard, garlic, thyme and onion in large bowl, cover refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to moderate. Drain beef reserve 250ml of the marinade.
- Combine carrots, leeks and celery in a large baking dish, place beef on top of vegetables brush beef with oil. Bake uncovered, in moderate oven for about 1½ hours or until beef is browned and cooked as desired.
- Remove beef from dish, wrap in kitchen foil stand 20 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, remove and discard vegetables with slotted spoon. Pour pan juices into jug, stand for 5 minutes then pour off the excess oil reserve 1½ tablespoons of the oil for the yorkshire puddings and 2 tablespoons of pan juices for the gravy.
- Heat reserved pan juices for gravy in same baking dish, add flour cook, stirring, until bubbling. Gradually add reserved marinade and stock cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Strain gravy into heatproof jug. Serve beef with gravy and yorkshire puddings.
- Sift flour and salt into medium bowl, make well in centre add combined egg, milk and water all at once. Using wooden spoon, gradually stir in the flour from side of bowl until batter is smooth. Cover allow to stand for 30 minutes. Divide reserved oil among yorkshire pudding tins or bun tin heat in hot oven for 2 minutes. Pour in the batter and bake for about 15 minutes or until puddings are golden.
Wendy’s Christmas Eve Barbecued Leg of Lamb
Mary Berry’s Beef and Ale Stew with Horseradish Spiral Dumplings
Joe Wicks’ Sweet Potato Shakshuka
Anjula Devi’s Pulled Lamb with Fiery Mint Chutney
Joe Wicks’ Bad Boy Chilli Con Carne
Yorkshire Pudding Burger
Slow-Cooked Port & Venison Casserole with Oatmeal & Parsley Dumplings
Spicy Meatball Popovers with Lemon & Chive Yoghurt