- 8 thick pork sausages
For the vegetable chips
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed, with ends removed
- 2 medium parsnips, scrubbed, with ends removed
- 1 small swede, scrubbed, with ends removed
- 2 medium beetroot, scrubbed, with ends removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch salt
For the Gravy
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled
- Small knob butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 425ml Essential Cuisine vegetable stock
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5.
- Place the sausages in a small roasting dish and cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- To make the vegetable chips, attach the French fry blade to the mandoline and adjust the thickness setting to 4’ then chip the vegetables. Toss in olive oil and add salt. Spread evenly on 2 baking trays and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, turning during cooking to prevent burning. Leave to stand for a few minutes before serving to allow the chips to crisp further.
- Meanwhile for the gravy, change the blade on the mandoline and adjust the thickness setting to 1’ then slice the onions. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the onion until it is browning and caramelised at the edges (about 10 minutes). Turn the heat down to low and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the butter and allow it to melt then stir in the flour followed by the mustard powder. Gradually add the stock, a little at a time, stirring continuously until it reaches the desired thickness. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, season to taste and add the thyme. Cook gently on a low heat for 8-10 minutes
- Pour the onion gravy over the sausages and serve with the vegetable chips.
Tip: To avoid the beetroot staining the other vegetables, chip it last and toss it in oil separately.
Wendy’s Christmas Eve Barbecued Leg of Lamb
Mary Berry’s Beef and Ale Stew with Horseradish Spiral Dumplings
Joe Wicks’ Sweet Potato Shakshuka
Anjula Devi’s Pulled Lamb with Fiery Mint Chutney
Joe Wicks’ Bad Boy Chilli Con Carne
Yorkshire Pudding Burger
Slow-Cooked Port & Venison Casserole with Oatmeal & Parsley Dumplings
Spicy Meatball Popovers with Lemon & Chive Yoghurt