- 110g butter
- 110g soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 150g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp ground mixed spice
- 350g mixed raisins, currants and sultanas
- 55g mixed peel, chopped
- ½ lemon, grated zest only
- 1-2 tbsp apricot jam
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g ground almonds
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tsp almond essence
- Place the sugar and ground almonds in a bowl.
- Add enough beaten egg to achieve a fairly soft consistency.
- Add the almond essence and knead until paste is smooth and pliable.
- Roll out a third of the paste to make a circle 18cm (7″) diameter, reserve the rest for the top and to make the marzipan balls.
- Preheat oven to 140°C/275°F.
- Grease and line an 18cm (7″) round cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy
- Gradually beat in the eggs until well mixed, and then sift in the flour, salt and mixed spice.
- Add dried fruit, lemon zest and mixed peel, and mix well.
- Put half the mixture into the cake tin, smooth the top and cover with the circle of marzipan.
- Add the rest of the mixture and smooth the top, leaving a slight dip in the centre to allow for rising, so you end up with a level top. Bake for 1½ hours, then remove from oven to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Brush top of cake with the apricot jam.
- Divide the remaining marzipan into two. Roll out a circle to cover the top of the cake and make eleven balls with the other half. Place the circle on top, then place the balls around the edge.
- Put in the oven for approx. 10 minutes or long enough for the marzipan to brown.