For the cake
- 5 eggs
- 300g caster sugar
- 140ml double cream
- Butter, for greasing
- Zest of 2 lemons (finely grated)
- 240g plain flour
- 2g baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
For the glaze
- 40g apricot jelly (heated in a saucepan)
- 30ml lemon juice
- Zest of ½ lemon (finely grated)
- 165g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, cream and lemon zest.
- Sieve together the flour and baking powder twice, add to the bowl followed by the salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Grease your loaf tin with a little softened butter and line with greaseproof paper. Fill the tin with the mixture and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, turning halfway.
- To check if it’s cooked insert a small knife blade into the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean it is done. Turn it out onto a baking rack and leave to cool.
- To finish brush the cake all over with the hot apricot glaze.
- In a small saucepan gently warm the lemon juice, zest and icing sugar to form the glaze. Brush the glaze over the cake and leave for a few minutes.