- 1 litre airtight jar, sterilised
- 400g sloes, cut or pricked
- 150g granulated sugar
- Approx. 500ml gin
- Place the sloes and sugar in the jar and top up with gin, leaving a small space for air at the top.
- To dissolve the sugar, shake the jar once or twice a day for the first week, then leave in a cool place for at least 2 months, shaking once a week.
- Strain the gin through muslin into a sterilised bottle and store in a cool place.
Tip: Can be stored in a fridge for up to 6 months. You could also add spices at step 2 ─ try cloves, coriander seeds, peppercorns, a cinnamon stick or bay leaf.