- 675g stewing (braising) lamb
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4-6 celery sticks, sliced
- 675g carrots, thickly sliced
- 3tbsp pearl barley, rinsed
- 1tbsp fresh thyme leaves or pinch of dried mixed herbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 600ml near-boiling lamb or vegetable stock
- Trim all excess fat from the lamb and cut into 3cm pieces. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the lamb and fry until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan and fry gently for 5 minutes until golden. Add the celery and carrots then cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until beginning to soften. Transfer to the ceramic cooking pot and switch the slow cooker to high.
- Sprinkle the pearl barley over the vegetables, then arrange the lamb pieces on top.
- Lightly season then scatter with the herbs. Pour in the stock ensuring all the meat is covered.
- With the lid on, cook on auto or high for 2 hours. Using a large spoon, skim off any scum that has risen to the surface of the casserole.
- Re-cover the pot and leave on auto or switch to low for a further 4-6 hours or until tender.
- Serve with spring cabbage and jacket potatoes.
Wendy’s Christmas Eve Barbecued Leg of Lamb
Mary Berry’s Beef and Ale Stew with Horseradish Spiral Dumplings
Joe Wicks’ Sweet Potato Shakshuka
Anjula Devi’s Pulled Lamb with Fiery Mint Chutney
Joe Wicks’ Bad Boy Chilli Con Carne
Yorkshire Pudding Burger
Slow-Cooked Port & Venison Casserole with Oatmeal & Parsley Dumplings
Spicy Meatball Popovers with Lemon & Chive Yoghurt